Reducing Harm of Concussion for Young Athletes: Methods and Policies
|OnDemand Webinar||$99||Add to Cart|
Sports-related concussion among school-aged athletes has emerged as a major public health issue over the past several years. Not only does concussion affect a young athlete's physical wellbeing for a period of time, but it also has a significant effect upon the student's ability to learn and function in a classroom environment. This on-demand webinar will focus on the provisions and implementation of state laws passed in 49 states and the District of Columbia, including so-called return-to-learn requirements, as well as methods used in returning students who have suffered a concussion back into the learning environment. The on-demand webinar will also help coaches, teachers and administrators in recognizing when a student has suffered a concussion and what steps they can take in ensuring a safe and successful return to academics and athletics. Finally, you will learn the importance of having specific policies and procedures in place for safe and effective management of all students and athletes who have suffered a concussion, and will consider some potential legal issues associated with return-to-learn policies.
AuthorsDr. Michael Koester , Slocum Orthopedics
Kerri McGowan Lowrey, J.D., M.P.H., The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law
• What Is a Concussion?
• Signs and Symptoms
• What Athletes Are at Highest Risk?
Acute Concussion Management
• On the Field Evaluation
• Who Needs to Go to the Emergency Department?
Returning to Learning: Academic Challenges
• Academic Accommodations
- Longer Term
• Symptoms Management
• Potential for Long-Term Academic Issues
Preparation and Prevention
• Coach Education
• Policies and Procedures
• Rules and Equipment
- Current and Future Rules Changes
- The Role of Equipment- Helmets and Headgear
State Legislative Approaches
• Rapid Adoption of State Concussion Laws From 2009 to 2013
• What Do the Laws Require?
• How Will We Know Whether They Are Working?
Implementation of State Youth Concussion Laws
• Factors That Are Helping With Implementation (Best Practices)
• Factors That Are Hindering Implementation
• Lessons Learned For Future Public Health Policymaking and Policy Evaluation
Additional Legal Considerations Related to Youth Sports Concussions
• Return-to-Learn Provisions
• Fulfilling the Education Requirements Under State Laws
• Misleading Equipment Claims